Christmas is a time of joy and happiness and wonder but many people this holiday season will suffer sadness, anxiety, loneliness, and depression.
*© Bobbie Jean Peachey
Causes of Christmas Depression
Identifying some of the causes of Christmas depression is the first step to doing something about it and finding ways to cope with holiday season illness.
Holiday Commercialism Financial Troubles Unemployment Loneliness Deaths Divorce
Surviving Christmas Depression
Five Ways to Cope:1. Ignore the commercialism
3. Get outside
3. Start new Christmas traditions
4. Be active. Do something
5. Avoid people who make you feel sad
Five Tips for Holiday Blues:1. Watch your prescription medicationFive Ways to Beat the Blues
3. Be aware of the weather and the full moon
3. Plan for PMS
4. Double check your antidepressant medications
5. Know what triggers your depression1. Spend only what you can afford
3. Don't give yourself a hard time
3. Spot your signs of stress
4. Look after yourself
5. Talk. Confide in someone
Surviving Christmas Alone1. Travel. Take a holiday cruise or tour
3. Volunteer. Help feed the homeless
3. Treat yourself to a present or two
4. Enjoy a movie
Reduce the Holiday Stress
© Bobbie Jean Peachey
1. Set a money limit for gifts and only spend what you can afford.
3. Do your Christmas shopping online.
3. If you have a large family for Christmas dinner have everyone bring a dish and plan the Christmas dinner at least 3 weeks ahead of time so everyone has time to prepare their dinner dish.
4. If you family is small make reservations at your favorite restaurant and avoid the time to make and clean up a large Christmas dinner.
5. Don't mix alcohol and the Christmas holidays. Alcohol is a depressant and doesn't need to be around to spoil the joy and wonder of the season.
If you or someone you know is deeply depressed and does not seem to be able to cope, then please get medical help. The Mayo Clinic Web site describes some of the medications used to treat depression.
To the Health and Medical Clip Art
More Anxiety Disorder Resources
Anxiety Disorders Association of America
National Institute of Mental Health
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Post-traumatic Stress Disorder
Children's Hospital Boston
To the Home
To the Clip Art Index
To the Public Domain Clip Art Index
To the Big List of Clip Art of Everything
To the Big List of Holidays, Events, Occasions
Visit An Affiliate Site for More Clip Art:
Find clip art of animals, buildings, cactus, cats, children, Christmas, computers, cookies, dogs, fall, famous skylines, food and beverages, graduation, grapes, Hanukkah, hats, holidays, homes, hummingbirds, industrial complexes, Kwanzaa, mice, military helicopters, military personnel, military vehicles, Oktoberfest, penguins, people, pet responsibility, pride graphics, Red Hat Society clip art, school, summer, sunflowers, Thanksgiving, trains, vegetables, wine, and much, much more.
Resource Center All Holidays
Autism Books Online Christian Christmas
At Our House
Newspapers Public Domain
Contact: Bobbie Jean Peachey
Everything You Ever Wanted in Clip Art!
The complete list of clip art on the combined sites of two cousins (Clipart Mountain and ABKL Designs) that includes all the clip art: animals, people, houses and buildings, cactus, computers, cultural clip art, food graphics, hobby images, dance, military, music, religious clip art, sports images, holiday clip art, medical clip art links, photos, education, school, books, doctors, trains, seasons, nurses, garden, flowers, fantasy, awards, pride ribbons and everything else you might want in clip art.
© 1995 - 2016 Clipart Mountain
Bobbie Jean Peachey